Palidoro and the Churh of the Apostles.
The origin of the Church of the Apostles, St. Philip and St. James, at the 30th kilometer mark of Aurelia Street in the village of Palidoro is an interesting story of an ancient cosial center.
Palidoro, a suburb of the city of Fiumicino, is a place full of charm.
In the 5th century A.D., Palidoro belonged to the Cisterian monks of the Tree Fountains, and it was during this time that the parish was dedicated to St. Philip and St. James.
More than a thousand years later, on July 19th 1588, the parish was sold to Camilla Perretti,sister of Pope Sixtus V.
In the early and mind 1600s, the parish was governed by a chaplain who reputedly had the divine power to heal, and for many years afterwards, the curch atrracted pilgrims and sufferers seeking cures for their maladies.
(A pariculary notable incident occurred in the following century, in 1753, when the blind Cardinal Raniero D’Elci’s vision was miraculously restored).
After its reputation as a healing site was well-etsablished, the Perretti family sold the parish 1650, whereupon it became part of the Holy Spirit Hospital.
Expansion and renovation efforts ot the parish and hospital were eventually undertaken in 1775, under the patronage of Pope Pious VI, and were completed during the eighth year of his potificate in 1782.
Being situated on Aurelia Street, a road which has seen much traffic since the Roman days, Palidoro contains numerous memorials celebrating the stops of popes such as Alexander VI, Pious VII, Gregory XVI, and Pious IX.
More recent historical incidents, which occurred in Palidoro during the turbulent days of Wold War II, are noteworthy as well.
Foremost of these is the heroic dee of Brigadier Salvo D’Aquisto, who is remembered for exchanging his life for the lives of innocent citizens due to be executed in relation for the killing of a German soldier.
Brigadier Salvo D’Aquisto falsely claimed reponsibility and was shot for the offense.
Another interesting event occurred on Setptember 18th 1943, during the 15-day German occupation of Palidoro.
On that day, the Nazis ordered all inhabitants to evacuate the village, after assuring a priest that the vetry would not be vandalized.
However, the priest was forced to return to Palidoro a few days later when he learned the the door of the sacrestry had been smashed open and many sacred objects and furnishings had been stolen.
The priest returned permanently to Palidoro on October 7th.